Monday, December 31, 2007

Fantasy vs. Fantasy: "The Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter"



Recently, several of people from my church chewed on an idea over dinner:

Is the JRR Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" more acceptable literature for Christian reading (particularly younger readers) than "Harry Potter"?

My pastor and SS teacher sat in opposition to one of my friends and I. They said there is no difference between LOTR and HP. We said LOTR was more edifying for the Christian reader and was a better piece of Literature over all. What do you think?

1. Is LOTR or HP better for Christian readers (young or old)?
2. Why?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg,

I still have to read the Lord of the Rings andHarry Potter.
Shame on me.That says you a lot about me. I am not a big a fan of fictional literature.

Sara, Della, and now Amanda said...

I have read the Harry Potter books purly out of curiosity at first and then later it became for entertainment.I have read The Hobbit, but not the Lord of the Rings, because my interest was not peaked by The Hobbit. I personnally did not care to read any more of JRRT's books, but when I read The Hobbit I did not know any thing of the author or any thing of his other books and I was reading purly for educational reasons.
So to say which is better for the Christian to read? I think that LOTR is better for the Christian reader. However, I think that if a Christian goes into reading LOTR with out any knowledge as to who wrote it or why, it would be the same as reading Harry Potter, which was written purly for entertainment and with anti-Christian themes.
I truly believe that if I had read the Hobbit understanding who Tolkien is and why he wrote the way he did, I would have liked it better and regarded it as good literature and went on to read LOTR. I have seen the trilogy on DVD though and it is good stuff. :)