Saturday, September 12, 2009

Country Boy

So many things have happened since July. I figure I'll start with something I love--music. Lately I have been studying country music and bluegrass because I play guitar at church and I wish to incorporate some aspects of these styles into my playing. What sparked this desire was finding an Albert Lee video on YouTube.



I came across this video because in the days when I played mostly rock and metal, all of my guitar mags raved about Albert Lee when they came to talk about country music. I didn't give it much thought, but I was simply astounded when I found out how good Albert Lee was! I already knew that Chet Atkins was a guitarist's guitarist, and that his influence, Merle Travis had also had a drastic influence on many American styles of music from rock to folk, but I had no idea of the technical expertise owned by Albert Lee and other country soloists. So, new musical respect has arrived in my mind concerning country guitarists--they are as good, or better than their rock and roll counterparts.







No comments: